Monster character design - Preppy style characters




In this task I was given the brief to create a character design for 8 monsters in a 'preppy' style. The first thing that I did for the task was to research as to what 'preppy' was. I created a 'preppy' influence map that consisted of relevant images and then thought about the different shapes that I could use to create the faces and bodies of the monsters. 




From my 8 loose geometric thumbnails I selected 3 that I believe that I could define further. I selected thumbnail 1 because the male character seemed fairly human like with how he holds his arms while he is standing and the way in which he stands. I also found how I dressed him to be quite interesting. For my second developed thumbnail I selected thumbnail 5 due to its contrast of proportions in the character's upper body and legs. I also liked how I created another set of arms underneath the character's original set making them seem hidden. In the original design I also placed an eye within an eye to also hide the feature like I had done previously with the character's arms. I selected thumbnail 6 as my third thumbnail design due to the characters arms, face shape and size. 


For my final A3 sketch I selected thumbnail number 5. I believed that thumbnail number 5 was a more interesting character proportion wise due to the difference in length between the character's legs and the character's upper body. I also believe that by improving the character's hair and going more into detail with the character's clothing gives the character a more realistic feel. The character also fits into the design brief as it is wearing female 'preppy' clothing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (2004) - Non-linear storytelling

Film review: A Knight's Tale (2001) - A Hero's journey