Toolkit 1: Photoshop and Digital painting - Exercises 1, 2 and 3





Photoshop and Digital Painting

Exercise 1

In exercise 1 we selected an image of our choice and edited the image so that it was in greyscale. In doing this it allowed for us to look at the tonal differences and how the shadow cast upon objects within an environment can show depth and dimension.

I found this task beneficial as it enabled me to use the Eyedropper tool to select the correct colours within an original painting allowing my own painting to resemble the artist's image more. Whilst completing this exercise I used a variety of paint brushes and brush strokes to create different textures. I believe that these techniques will benefit me in the future as it will be easier for me to create a variety of different environments based on texture.

Exercise 2

In exercise 2 we continued to use the Eyedropper tool to select the colours that we needed from the original painting to then create our own. During this exercise we created work in colour so that our paintings had a more realistic approach.
I believe that working in colour gave me the opportunity to create a more realistic piece meaning that if a person was to look at my work, all of the elements such as the colour and depth, would be visible to them.


Exercise 3

In exercise 3 we worked on looking at the colour of a painting by zooming into the individual pixels and trying to match the colour on the colour palette without using the Eyedropper tool.

I found this exercise difficult as I struggled with matching the colours up correctly, this meant that I spent more time trying to colour match than actually completing the painting. What I have learnt from this exercise is that I should use more of my time to try and zoom into the coloured pixels and then quickly select a similar colour so that I have more time to paint. I believe that this will also allow for me to focus more on the proportions of the subject that I am painting.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (2004) - Non-linear storytelling

Film review: A Knight's Tale (2001) - A Hero's journey