'What if?' Metropolis - Cityscape thumbnails


I've decided, with the help of Jordan, that some buildings within my city should be shaped and coloured differently depending on their use. This would allow for the buildings to stand out as well as adopt the glass colours from my artist Dale Chihuly.

In 'Lalo' the main feature within the city is the Provence roses at its centre which are encased in glass. Jordan suggested that perhaps the glass surrounding the roses could have a more organic shaping and perhaps replicate certain features of the stem such as the thorns. He also suggested that as the roses were pink, maybe the glass could be coloured the same. He also told me to consider how each of the buildings I am creating could be constructed. I chose for each of the glass buildings to be constructed using small glass panels as it would be easier to create the small curves within the structures.


I then considered what other things may be needed in the city, so I looked at how the inhabitants would be able to store water and fish. This is as fish is their only food source. For the extra water collection I looked into how extra water would be able to be collected. While speaking to Jordan he suggested that the water could perhaps be collected from leaves in the trees up above them when it rains, so for the building I had sure that the top of it enabled rain to funnel into the building. For the food storage building I decided to shape it in the shape of a cold water carp as that would be the type of fish that would be accessible to them. In shaping the building in the same way as the fish, it allows for the fish to be easily able to fit inside. Only one storage building will be needed in the city as due to the size of the inhabitants, one carp would be able to feed the city for over a month.

For the fourth building I looked at how the city could be provided with extra light to all buildings during the day. For this I looked into Chihuly's work and found that one of the shapes within one of his sculptures stood out to me. This is the shape that you can see above. In the city multiple of these buildings would be placed in areas that receive most sunlight. The sunlight will then be collected by these buildings and the walls surrounding them will reflect the light into the other buildings,




I then moved on to looked at other buildings that are usually present in cities such as religious buildings and buildings for entertainment. I decided to create a church that looks similar to grass. This is as in grass there are multiple grass blades and like this, the city will hold multiple churches. Another factor is that the city's religion is based around flowers and grass usually surrounds flowers. I chose the colour green as the colour of the church as it is natural.

I decided to base the entertainment buildings on flower stems as I believed that the shaping was interesting. I coloured the building purple so that it stands out the most in the city and having a bright colour shows that what is inside the building is perhaps more interesting.



Method of travelling around the city


When speaking to Jordan he asked what the inhabitant's method of transport would be around the city and I was struggling with would they could possibly used. We decided that perhaps slides would be beneficial to the inhabitants. This is as they are able to be made out of glass as glass is slippery and as the city is very 'different' we believed that slides would be an interesting method of transport.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (2004) - Non-linear storytelling

Film review: A Knight's Tale (2001) - A Hero's journey