Premise - Diabetes monster outfit colours

After finalising the character design for the diabetes monster, I came up with a few colours that I believe would be suitable.


I looked into colours like red to be suitable as the character relates to blood and blood sugar. I then moved on to look at brighter colours to see how I felt it would change the character. I also decided to experiment with how the blood sugar molecules could change on the outfit to relate to the character's blood sugar (glucose) levels.

Once I had looked into that I then selected two of my favourite designs to see how they would look in detail. I also added a light blue colour to the 'L' on the gauge on his stomach to represent low blood sugar and red to the 'H' to show high blood sugar. I then experimented further with the amount and size of the sugar particles on the outfit.



I believe that the red character is one of the strongest ones that I have drawn which is why I chose it to see how I could change it further to improve it. I looked at adding a blush to the character's cheeks to see how it would effect the character. I believe that without the blush the character looks better. This is as I do not want the character to look too human-like.


I then decided to workout how the character would look from the side. For this I looked at whether the character's face bulges out of the outfit or stays flat and whether the character's facial features would also bulge too. I believe that having the character's face and facial features bulging was successful so I am going to take this idea further to see how it will look.  



Comments

  1. I feel like the light blue guy is about to burst into a rendition of "Let it Go!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tia. A couple of things. Firstly, in terms of colour, you need to decide rather than crowd sourcing this one. Basically, choose based upon what works for you and your feelings around diabetes. Secondly, your side view is not working yet and you've started to lose the core shape of your character in the front view. A related problem coming from forgetting what overall shape your character was build around - An egg shape. In the front view, you have started to lose that from the waist down (outside edges of the character) and in the side view he has become a 'Kinder Egg Toy Capsule / Tablet' shape with straights front an back. The idea was also to improve this sketch to become a more industry centric version of itself...eg, refining each aspect such as the feet, hands, face, and so on by redrawing them in more detail and so they are ready for 3D. Overall, be careful that you are not accidentally devolving your character by drawing over a sketch without understanding how you created it in the first place (its core structure).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (2004) - Non-linear storytelling

Film review: A Knight's Tale (2001) - A Hero's journey