Premise - Reflective statement


When I started this project I had two different ideas from which I was thinking about creating an animation. One was about my Type One Diabetes and how I came to find that I have it, and the other was living with my sister who has ADHD. At first I was indecisive over which I would prefer to choose but I believed creating an animation about my diabetes and my experiences of having it was more suitable as it was more personal to me.

When the project began I spent a lot of time coming up with the original concept for it, which was having me as a character and going through the different stages of my life with diabetes. I found it hard at first to not be too literal when creating a step by step plan of what to include, but with some help, I came up with my final idea which I believe is a much more successful and interesting version. 

When it came to designing characters we had gone down from the original character number being 2 or 3, to being 1. This character is the personified version of my Type One Diabetes. I struggled with coming up with a character that both looked like it could be realistic and that I liked and could identify with. After multiple chats and emails with the course lecturers, I came up with my final character design, something of which I am very proud of. It is not only something that I can class as my own style of drawing, it relates to me in many personal ways too. 

When it came to the interim crit I was told that I need to be more engaged and excited about my work, this is when I was still on my original concept, as the character designs and story were good but needed to me more interesting and relatable not just to an audience but to me as well. Following the interim crit I spoke multiple times to not only lecturers but people around me that exceed in areas such as character design to help me. From this, I came up with a new and improved script and final character. With this I then proceeded to create a final animatic which helped to visualise how I wanted to character to act and react in different situations.

Looking back on the feedback I do agree with what had been said to me. Now I have become more involved in the project than I was before, I have been able to progress to a place in the project where I am happy and looking forward to advancing in. 

While I am off over summer I will look forward to ensuring that my final character designs are ready to go, with the Diabetes' side view altered so that it looks correct and proportionate. I will then model my Diabetes character and look at how I can use different camera angles and use props correctly to make the animation more humorous. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (2004) - Non-linear storytelling

Film review: A Knight's Tale (2001) - A Hero's journey